Friday, September 21, 2012
We've arrıved!
So we've arrived in Turkey, I'm tired, despite the layover in Korea.
Which was really nice by the way (probably the only time I can afford to stay at the Hyatt) buffet dinner, buffet breakfast, airplane food, and constantly being sedentary is going to do wonders for trying to lose weight.
So you know you've arrived in Turkey when you realise you're getting ripped off the moment you've cleared customs.
Let me backtrack a little: In order to use my mobile phone in Turkey I need to get it 'registered' with the Turkish government this fee is apparently 10 lira, 20 lira, 25lira...or 40lira if you're a sucker who's just cleared customs.
My brother had mentioned to me about the process of getting your phone registered: get your passport stamped, go to a phone dealer, Vodafone, Turkcell etc, and pay your registration levy of 20 lira, then buy your credit. Seemed easy enough...and it should be. IF there were standardised practices.
Sure you can look this up on the web (if you can be bothered to read the Turkish website) and know what to search for...I actually should have done my homework on Lonely Planet or something. My brother is half-arsed with his information, and because he's a guy he can get away with talking back smack to the guys here.
After we got off the plane, I really wanted to sought out my mobile phone situation. I don't know if it's my obsession with Turkish shows over the past 2 years but all of a sudden most Turkish guys seems kind of attractive, albeit young. I'm sure if I were a 20yr old..they'd still be ignoring me, but I wouldn't feel so weird thinking they're attractive.
I cleared customs, picked up our lead luggage and proceeded to the 'arrivals area' .
Saw Vodafone right there slap bang in the centre and thought "great, I don't have to go far". I said to the guy, "you'll have to excuse me, my Turkish is not so great" and he said "don't worry, we'll manage"..
Anyway he says: "Do you have your passport" (shit..it's back with mum)...long boring story short, I run and get it, come back, he proceeds to tell me it's 40 lira to register and I have to buy the sim and then buy credit...I'm like "WTF?"...
I say to him, "My brother told me its only 20 lira"...and he's like "well that must have been some time ago"...
I reply back sarcastically ,"Yeah...like 3 weeks ago" I reply.
He says: "Well are you going to believe me, or what 'somebody' told you"...
"I'm going to believe what my brother told me, so i'll hold off for now....thanks"....Jeeessuss...and it begins..I'm stressed.
At the end of the day we bought a phone card to use at a pay phone, and my cousins have leant me an archaic Nokia 3310? to use whilst here. It'll get the job done...I just feel crap I've lugged my phone and charger all the way over here for nothing.
Today is Friday: We've stayed two nights at my mum's cousins place in Istanbul, and we're heading to the village today. It's raining and looks fairly miserable, but at least the weather is cooler.
I went for bit of a walk up the street and yesterday it was hot...and tiring, simply because you have to constantly watch we're you're walking (as you should anyway) Trying to cross the street is like dodge ball, I basically tried to tailgate anyone else who was crossing. Otherwise I swear they do will not stop...
Arggghhh I'm typing from a Türkısh EPC, aside from the size, the characters are not where I'm used to. Everytime I want to use a comma, I keep pressing 'ç' button. It's taking me forever to post anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woohoo!! You've arrived :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this will be helpful now but the Lonely Planet website isnt bad.
And yeah, I'm betting 40lira is airport pricing. Since it's right there, I bet they just sting everyone coming through. Hopefully you can get something sorted.
Anyway, nice work with the blog :)