Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ankara!

Mum and I arrived in Ankara a couple of days ago, it's about a 7hr bus ride from the village. The trip
over wasn't so bad, but the problem is I've the nastiest chest infection for the past week.
The runny nose and flu like symptons subsided in two days, but then the coughing started....and boy is it relentless. I feel like I have hooping cough, it just won't stop, it's exhausting. It comes in spurts, and once I start coughing it will continue for like 5 minutes, then it'll subside for half hour then another round...on top of that, I've lost my voice.As if being limited by the language barrier weren't frustrating enough, now evertime I open my mouth seal like noises come out.
Anyhow so we arrived in Ankara, our main reason for being here is to visit Anit Kabir which is Kemal Ataturk's burial place and mausoleum. It's probably also my favourite man made spot in Turkey. We arrived there around 1pm as we had a late start to the day. Anit Kabir is inpecably maintained which can't be said for many places in Turkey. As a child I also recall it having the cleanest toilets in all of Turkey.
On 29th Oct it was Republic day a day that's supposed to be celebrated by all, to rejoice in Turkey's unity and indepedance. Do you think half the ignorant population recognises this? There so completely and utterly blinded by religion and ignorance the whole nation is literally being flushed down the proverbial toilet.

Anyway I don't want to get into a political rant, particularly when I don't know the finer details and well frankly even if I did politics is hardly that interesting is it?


Anit Kabir is a bit of an emotional place, particularly if you're brought up revering the guy all your life, and admiring the guys achievements. Only to see the current political climate of the country of your origin to be wasting away under religious fundamentalism. 

Anyway from Anit Kabir mum and I walked to centre of town Kızılay (Red Cresent) this is known as 'modern Ankara' you'll find Starbucks, Banana Republic etc etc all here....I have to say I did like it alot.
Ankara is like the civilised more organised older brother of İstanbul. The traffic is somewhat less severe (it's all relative) it's a bit greener, and you don't have to make 2 transfers to get anywhere.



1 comment:

  1. Ankara looks quite nice :)

    Good photos from the Anit Kabir. And yeah, it's a shame the country has recently changed - Ataturk would probably be rolling in his grave. At least the memorial still looks well maintained.

    ReplyDelete