Friday, December 14, 2012

My "last hurrah"

So not long now until I make my way back to Australia. Feeling I hadn't quite seen all of Istanbul as I possilby could (which let's face it, I could be here 6 months and still not explore all of Istanbul) and being rather bored in the village, and growing frustrated with the narrow minded and brain washed views of my cousins, I thought I'd have one last trip into Istanbul. This morning I took the 8am bus out of Iznik. I hadn't had breakfast yet so I bought a Simit and a Pocha (stuffed bun, mine had Fetta cheese) for the princely sum of 1.50Turkish lira (about 75cents) I swear you can never go hungry in Turkey. No matter how poor you think you are, you'll always have money to buy food its so damn cheap sometimes.


It's not as fun of course being on your own. But lucky for me generally I don't mind my own company...particularly when my own company comes with Wi-Fi in my hotel room. This time around I'm staying at Taksim. It's actually a lot better then the place Claire and I stayed at (sorry Claire) Not so much the  hotel itself (that being said it IS a bit nicer though) but the location. Of course the location at Sultanahmet was better suited for visiting the likes of Hagia Sophia and Topkapi. Taksim puts me north of the Galata Bridge in the district of Beyoğlu (once known as 'Pera' I think) anyway this is the entertainment district. Great if you want to have a night out with friends, or your partner...."Loserville" if your on your own.

Tomorrow though I am catching up with Tamara (the friend I'd made from the FGSN forum). We're heading to the poshier parts of town ostensibly to shop...but I think Tamara is hoping we'll spot a celebrity. Having spotted one on my first visit to the Shopping Centre (did I tell you guys about this?...Oh I'm sure you'll hear all about it when I return) I think Tamara might be thinking the odds are high for luck striking again. She said she's also bringing some uni friends, whom are all from various Arabic backgrounds. I get the feeling we're going to be a gaggle of girls aimlessly wondering around, trying to look inconspicious, which of course means we'll be highly conspicious.

On Sunday I want to check out the 'Ataturk Museum', if I have time in the arvo, I'll try to head over to Sultanahmet and try Topkapi again. I didn't quite give it the service it deserved...I might read all those sign-y thingy's ..with the information and stuff...like ...totally, oh yeah I'm educated, you betcha.

Today I arrived at around midday, dropped off my backpack at the hotel and decided to walk up Istiklal caddesi (avenue)  for some last minute shopping. Much like I expected I still fail to fit the clothes I looked at a month ago whilst walking around with Claire.  But I did pick up some CD's....I proceeded to pay for them after I'd "picked them up"..you know. An old Turkish indie movie with the actor Engin Akyurek ("Kerim") which I think he's in all of 3 minutes, and the completely superfluous (for Queensland) yet joyously non size discriminatory 'scarf', and Turkish Vogue because it has an interview with a Turkish actor that I wanted to read. In fact I was trying to read it moments earlier see...Of course....I found this interview online with a 30 second search on a FB page...


After walking up Istiklal caddesi I wanted to search for the patesserie shop "Inci" this is also where an scene of FGSN was filmed. However I also know this shop was closed down a week ago with a lot of controversy. There's a lot changes going on around Taksim, with the current government building mosques all over the place. The last place you need a mosque is in the heart of the entertainment district. It's yet another subversive move my the current right-wing Turkish government. I don't know if this shop was in the way or what...but it seems to have been singled out (for the time being). The thing is the patesserie shop is situated in what I believe to be a historical building. This government is remembering to retain and refurbish every single historical mosque, but is failing to retain any building left from the republic era, as these are signs of Ataturk's legacy. The owners claimed in the news that they were unlawfully evicted out...it was just really sad. What it symbolises is what's sad...its not simply the closure of a patesserie.
Any how I was still hoping I could possibly take a photo from the outside...but it was boarded up.
This was the scene from FGSN...
Here is a link to a video(should you be curious)  as the place was being evacuated by Police and the council as the owners were resisting closure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj2lJ2xNKow

On a more inane note...after having dinner (Kebab between Turkish bread) I proceeded to have dessert once again at Hafiz Mustafa, this time at their Taksim location. In what happens to be a regular thing with dessert in Istanbul, it cost more then my meal. But unlike my many disappointments with dessert back at home...these ones just keep getting better.
Even though its cold out I chose to have the Pistachio Maras ice cream Claire had . After that I felt like tea (I've become hooked on the stuff now) the kind waiter also brought out Turkish Delights for me free of charge...which then made me feel like I'd have to tip him (which I did) but it was worth it. And the service at Hafiz Mustafa really is great.
Hafiz Mustafa (Taksim)
Tea and Turkish Delight

Aside from that nothing much. I've been in the hotel room all night doing what I do best which is sitting on the internet doing useless crap for an inordinate amount of time.

Sometimes I glance up at the TV (which is presently on the traffic channel) ...It should just be called "The Roads" channel really...as there's ALWAYS traffic in Istanbul. What's the point....you don't even need to view it to dictate what route you're going to take. All the alternate routes will be jammed as well...who do they they think they're kidding.




Then there is my "view". A room with a view it ain't...it suits me fine.
Then we come to the showers...what I love about the showers in the hotels here are the huge ass shower heads, and the wall to wall marble.

The hotel at Sultanahmet was like this also. In fact many hotels I looked at had bathrooms like this...I love it. As for the Shower heads....for a country that should have water constrictions (as it gets cut off all the time) you'd think they'd know better...But I'm not complaining, as in a week's time I'll be returning to my normal shower which generally has the water pressure of someone pissing on your head. But after sticking my head under a tap for the past 3 months even that is a luxury to me now....Uhh...everything is relative isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment