Friday, December 7, 2012

This could be a big mistake...


So some of you may or may not be aware that I’ve been wanting to perm my hair in an attempt to add more volume to my lifeless locks for some time now.
I had enquired about getting a perm at Toni&Guy back in Brisbane and was advised that a perm ravages your hair. In fact the girl said to me, “you’re likely to do less damage if you curled it with curler everyday”. Sure I guess that’s a valid point,  but considering I can’t even be arsed to run a comb through my hair most days, daily curls with a curling wand seems out of the question.
A perm back home from what I’ve gathered starts from the $180 mark. A perm here starts from 50 lira ($30) I figure if the perming process is going to ravage my hair anyway; I may as well ruin my hair at a cheaper price right? This whole perming idea may very well be a disaster and ultimately look horrendous. But the fact remains, I’ll never know until I give it a try, and I’ll always be wondering on how it would be.
What concerns me at this juncture is, ‘yes’, the perming process is damaging probably no matter where you get it done. But I’m sure some hairdressers are better at it than others. I’d argue that the hairdressers at T&G or Oscar Oscar are better qualified then the local hairdressers here in Iznik. I’d have trepidations if I were getting a haircut from a local hairdresser, and imagine if you will, that you lived in say Bundaberg...this is like Iznik. Cut aside...a perm is a head full of chemicals, it changes the natural bonds in your hair shaft. There are multiple bad cases here. I could end up looking like Richard Simmons (photo below) ...bad. It may not hold at all and I’ll simply end up with frizzy hair with curls that didn’t hold...bad...The chemicals can ruin it so much the hair could fall out...baaaaad.
 But then I figure what makes the ones back at home so special? I for one hate the pomp and pretension the T&G hairdressers have. The airs or some of them would lead you to believe they were performing brain surgery. But then I can argue that sometimes they do actually know what they’re talking about.
But I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to get a perm here in Iznik. I’m going in armed with a couple of photos, so that if there is a communication breakdown, at least she’ll have an idea as to what I want. I haven’t scheduled an appointment yet. Hopefully with my next post, I can either let you know whether I chickened out or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment